Sunday, February 9, 2014

Amazing Grace of the Page Administrator

Inspiration for article topics come from the oddest places. While using a new shower gel this morning, I read the following inscription on the bottle:

Philosophy: Life is a classroom, and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject: grace. Being the smartest, the prettiest, the most talented, the richest or even the poorest can’t help. Being a humble person can, and being a helpful person can guide you through your days with grace and gratitude.

Excellent words to live by, for sure; but how well do they translate to the world of social media? Should we even expect them to?

Social media has become the modern day Christmas Card letter. You know, that treatise you receive every year from Aunt Millie bragging about every great thing her family has done since the previous Christmas. However, this modern day version is now a daily occurrence. As well it should be for the individual users of social media. I take exception to the community and business pages that cross the line from brand promotion to individual promotion.

Page administrators are there to promote the brand that the page represents (whether it be an organization, a business or community); not themselves. Please leave those self serving posts where they belong and will be better appreciated; on your personal time lines. The only exception would be when the page in question is that of a celebrity or political candidate; and even then self promotion posts should be made with a certain sense of decorum and yes, grace.

2 comments:

  1. I comment whenever I likе a article οn a site оr I have somethiոg tߋ add to tҺе discussion.
    It іs a result οf the passion displayed іn the article I read.

    Aոd аfter tҺis article "Amazing Grace of the Page Administrator".
    I was actually moved enough to drop a thοught ;-) I аctually do have ѕome questions for
    үoս іf it's okay. ӏs it simply me or ԁoes it
    seem liκe a feա of the responses ɑppear as іf theү are left by brain dead visitors?
    :-P Аոd, іf yߋu аre writing at othеr sites, I աould like to follow yoս.
    Could yօu mɑke a list all of yօur social paǥes like
    yߋur linkedin profile, Facebook ρage or twitter feed?


    Take a look at mу web-site ... website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the information you are requesting can be found under the About Me section to the right of the blog post.

      Delete