Thursday, September 26, 2013

God's Presence on Social Media

While enjoying the morning’s first cup of coffee, I find myself scrolling through the notifications on the various social media sites to catch up with family and friends.  It never fails; there is always at least one request for prayers.  Having been raised in a strict Roman Catholic household, I understand and respect the power of prayer and one’s faith.  
On an emotional and spiritual level, I have great respect for a majority of the requests then come across my newsfeeds.  Requesting prayers when a loved  one is battling a life threatening illness or, worse, is one thing. I can personally get behind and support those requests.
The requests I have a tough time supporting are the ones such as these which gone way beyond the spiritual realm:
  • Please pray that my boyfriend doesn’t see this picture of me dancing on the bar last night after I told him I was too sick to go out.  
  • My car needs a new transmission, please pray that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.  
  • Matilda really has her heart set on attending Harvard, please pray that they look beyond her 1150 SAT score.  
  • Herman is interviewing for a promotion at work, please pray that he doesn’t screw it up like last time.
    Photo Credit: Agent-X Comics. www.agent-x.com.au
Are we to assume that God subscribes to Facebook, Google +, and Twitter?  Does he hold weekly hangouts?  Will he accept our friend requests?  If we don’t like and share the request, are we destined to go to hell?  Finally, if God has a Facebook timeline, how far back does it go and will we be able to finally answer the question of what he did on his day of rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment