Monday, September 23, 2013

The Day I Broke My Own Cardinal Rule

Well, now I have done it. My last post, Have You Hugged A Social Media Manager Today?; while an attempt to bring attention to those who give freely of their time and talents to provide nonprofit organizations and causes a social media presence, may have come across as what many would call a "cry for attention."  For that, I offer my sincere apologies.

One of my personal rules when it comes to social media has been to always try to put a positive spin on my posts. To try not to project negative personal feelings into what I write.  Feeling overwhelmed at the moment, I clearly broke that rule when I hit the publish button on Saturday.  In doing so, I not only failed myself; but you, as well.

Oh, sure, I could have easily removed the post and go on as if I never wrote it. All that would have accomplished, though, would have been a short lived sense of relief.  By leaving it up on the blog, it will serve as a reminder to me, and everyone else, that every article, post, tweet is not perfect.  There will be always be that one which will bring about either public or, in this case, personal backlash.  There will be those that appear self serving and more of a nuisance to your followers than anything else.

Social media management is no different than any other aspect of our lives.  We make mistakes. Rather than being viewed as the end of the world, mistakes should be viewed as learning experiences.  Reminders that we can always do better.

While I cannot guarantee that each and every post I make across all the social media platforms will be perfect, I will think twice before hitting the publish or submit button.  Should I slip up again, I ask that you please let me know.  If we are not made aware of our mistakes, we are unable to learn from them.

1 comment:

  1. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this
    website is really nice.

    My blog web site

    ReplyDelete