As I continue my journey into the world of Social Media, I remain flabbergasted as to the lack of customer interaction by many businesses and organizations on their Facebook pages.. I touched on this topic in a previous post (How NOT to Engage Your Customer via Social Media 6/6/12); however, 9 months later and not much has changed.
The drive to increase customer engagement on social media sites is not new and definitely not likely to diminish anytime soon. Businesses, Nonprofits and; even, Government entities have jumped on the social media bandwagon to build their client/fan base and drive up sales, name recognition or simply to get their message out there. All noble and worthwhile reasons for which I can find no fault.
As more consumers enter their comments on various social media sites (both positive and negative), there continues to be a disconnect regarding follow up by quite a few page administrators. However, we all know that the larger your client/fan base the more likely you will receive complaints along with compliments. No organization is perfect. There is always going to be something the consumer is not going to be happy with - whether it be pricing, product quality, message content, etc..
Page administrators continue to ignore or delete negative commentary. These comments are the ones which should be embraced. Turning a negative into a positive is skill of an experience customer service professional which has been forgotten in the social media arena. The simple act of ignoring a negative post is tantamount to corporate suicide. It needs to be addressed head on in a positive and forthright manner.
Engaging and interacting with your base in a positive and forthright way is the only way to go to be successful. Copying and pasting the same "canned" corporate approved response to each and every complaint and comment posted to your Facebook page, website or corporate blog does not qualify as sincere customer engagement. It only serves to add credence to the original complaint due to their lack of sincerity and originality.
This is where all the current education in social media marketing is lacking. The marketing skills are taught and put into practice. However, social media are created the need to merge good old fashion customer service skills with those of a talented marketer.
Those of us who have been involved in the customer service sector have come to understand that they are the face and voice of the company or organization they represent. There is a solution to every problem and can be tweaked to satisfy both the customer and the company. However, social media engagement has brought those one on one phone calls or emails out into the public arena. Are these organizations afraid to admit there are flaws in their business model for the entire Internet world to see? They shouldn't be. By addressing the concerns head on, they are acknowledging that it puts its customers first and is not afraid of criticism. These are the companies that will survive in this tenuous economic climate.
I learned from the old school where personal interaction always took precedence. Many of those same tried and true techniques are easily transferable to the social media environment. Administrators of these various sites are not be skilled in these time honored customer engagement methods or maybe they have not come to the realization that a perfect blend of customer service, marketing and public relations skills are necessary.
I continue to have this fear that organizations that continue on this track of non-engagement will eventually end up with no online client/fan base to engage with. What are your thoughts on this? Have you seen a shift to a more customer service oriented online marketing strategy in your organization?

I totally agree, Patti. I'm always bothered when company's social media sites are anything but social and just a one-way effort to push info. The most successful orgs are creating a dialogue, including addressing customer service in real time. I love tweeting with Virgin America when I'm flying. Super responsive! Great post.
ReplyDeleteThank you Gloria for the comment. It is frustrating when you see this happening across all the social media networks. I do agree that engagement via Twitter seems to be more of a two-way street; not so much on Facebook or Google Plus, though.
DeleteA motivating discussion is worth comment. I
ReplyDeletedo believe that you should write more on this issue, it may not be a taboo subject but generally people do not speak about
such subjects. To the next! All the best!!
nitric power reviews
Thank you very much for your kind words. I do have plans to explore this topic in the near future.
DeleteThe pressure and stress to write scheduled blog posts creates a temptation
ReplyDeleteto write about any nonsense that you can throw together quickly to fill out a blog
post. Most often they are not planned out at all. Just taking out the time to come up
with an agenda for the blog article and to sketch out a detailed outline for precisely what you want to say can increase the value for your followers by producing even more
enjoyable articles. Just from the point of view of a blog writer, thank
you for demonstrating content strategy with a clearly defined goal in this post.
my page: Content Marketing Service
Thank you for your comment. I agree with your points. Many times I will sit down and type whatever comes to mind; save it; come back later to edit the piece as if I was the reader and not the writer. Then there are other times when I write something purely off of a predetermined outlined.
ReplyDeleteThis is really interesting, You are an overly skilled blogger.
ReplyDeleteI have joined your feed and look ahead to in search of
extra of your magnificent post. Also, I've shared your web
site in my social networks
Also visit my web page: Natural Garcinia cambogia
I do not even know how I ended up here, however I assumed this post
ReplyDeletewas great. I do not realize who you might be however
certainly you're going to a well-known blogger when you are not already.
Cheers!
My web site ... Prolexin IGF Review ()
Hi, this weekend is pleasant in favor of me, since this point in
ReplyDeletetime i am reading this impressive informative piece of writing here at my residence.
my blog; sugar free syrup
Your mode of telling the whole thing in this piece of
ReplyDeletewriting is actually good, all can easily know
it, Thanks a lot.
my weblog; Rev Test, gtree.kr,
You could definitely see your enthusiasm within the work you write.
ReplyDeleteThe sector hopes for more passionate writers like youu who aren't
afraid to mejtion how they believe. At alll times goo
after your heart.
my weblog: slpim trim pm garcinia cambogia 19602 nw 60 ct, ,