ME!
That's right. I hereby nominate myself has one of the worst page managers, if not the worst, on Facebook. Now, don't get me wrong. This is not about to become one of those self-loathing rants in an attempt to garner sympathy.
I currently administer (or manage) nine separate Facebook pages. One of these pages is being administered in a way that defies all best practices advice and basic marketing logic. How did I achieve the dubious honor of being the worst of the worse?
1. Post at least one relevant status update. FAIL
The sole purpose of this particular (community) page, is to promote the local area small businesses and organizations in order to drive traffic to their own Facebook pages. On any given day, I am liking and sharing over 100 other pages' status updates; far exceeding the recommended minimum of at least one.
2. Respond to any comments. Want engagement? Engage. PASS (BARELY)
Okay, I pass this one; at least, on the comments I am able to catch in a timely manner. There are times I find myself apologizing for the delay in responded. Who can blame me? I was probably clicking the like and share button and not paying attention to the notifications popping up from our own followers.
3. Share 3 interesting status updates you find. FAIL
Refer back to item #1. No need to rehash that all over again.
4. Like or Comment on at least 7 status updates or messages. INCOMPLETE
Obviously, since I like every status (as the page) that I share to our timeline, I meet the minimum of 7 likes. However, I am remiss is commenting on every single one. I will admit that it is more of a time factor than anything else.
5. Leave a comment on another Page whose audience is your audience. FAIL
Again, although I know I should do this (and I do with the other pages I manage), I am allowing time, or lack thereof, to control my adherence to this rule.
6. Running Facebook Ads? Review stats twice daily. FAIL
Definite failure here. Not because I am cheap or anything. Okay, maybe I am. This is a community page of which I manage on a strictly volunteer basis. While I feel strongly about promoting area businesses, I am not in a financial position to pay for advertising; especially since the businesses, in essence, are receiving free marketing from me and the page.
7. Locate 3 relevant pieces of content your audience would like and schedule it. INCOMPLETE
I do attempt to post relevant links regarding Facebook marketing on the page. I fail at scheduling them for posting. As I find them, I will share them. Need to work on the scheduling portion of this item.
8. Review Facebook Insights. Look for trends and emulate them. INCOMPLETE
The Facebook insights for our page is disingenuous, at best, since the posts we make are 99% shares from other pages. There are definitely posts that work better than others. However, we have no control as to the content of the posts on any given day or even hour, for that matter.
9. Ask one thought-provoking question. INCOMPLETE
I have made several attempts at asking the tough questions, such has "how are you planning on spending this weekend?" Okay, investigative journalism 101, this clearly isn't. While I know from the Facebook insights report, that over 500 have seen such questions; very rarely do we get an actual response. Our followers are probably still wading through the 100+ notifications we generated on their news feeds that day.
10. Listen for and respond to every lead immediately. PASS
This one I have got covered. We are constantly on the lookout for new business pages to promote and, when we are fortunate enough to have one recommended to us, we jump on it.
So there you have it. I am clearly not fulfilling the expectations set forth by so many social media gurus when it comes to Facebook page marketing; and for that I have failed. Then again, our page is the talk of the town (literally and virtually) and our fan base continues to grow at an amazing rate. So maybe, just maybe, I am doing something right.
No comments:
Post a Comment