Monday, April 8, 2013

When Marketers Lose Their Focus, They Lose Their Audience

When a company hires a social media manager, either internally or through an outside agency, they are entrusting them to promote their brand, image or service to a diverse audience across the wide spectrum of social media platforms.  The social media manager. many times, has carte blanche when it comes to the content that is posted.  However, are they keeping the best interests of their employers (or clients) in mind?

Recently, I ran across a Facebook page for a local business.  Since I was interested in the service they provided, I began to follow it.  Unfortunately, my initial interest was quickly displaced by what became constant posts about sports which had no bearing on the company or service whatsoever.

Now, don't get me wrong.  It's not like I hate sports or anything; but continually posting about them under a company's name does not want me to spend my money on their products or services.  It might cause me to buy season tickets; which, by the way, I don't think was the original intent of the company's social media marketing strategy.

This does not appear to be an isolated incident.  More and more, the personal preferences of social media managers seem to be permeating through the content that they post.  Targeting your content is one thing; but targeting it in a way that it does not benefit the company or brand that you represent is a big misstep.

Are you seeing irrelevant content popping up in the social media posts of the companies you follow?  If so, are they causing you to second guess why you followed them in the first place or is your brand loyalty strong enough for you to stick it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment